Thursday, January 29, 2009

yet another blog post

1. Could I BE blogging more often? I can't seem to stop lately!

2. I'm terrified of tomorrow's weigh-in. What with all the cooking I've been doing (see below) and my abysmal exercise record of the past week, it's not going to be pretty. I've got to find a way to buckle down again and re-tighten my resolve.

3. I cooked again tonight! I know, I know. I can't believe it, either. Perhaps I have been kidnapped and replaced by a culinary doppelganger. :) I made the following, and it's GOOD!

Mushroom Stroganoff

8 oz. wide egg noodles
1 lb. pre-packaged sliced mushrooms
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 8-oz. tub sour cream (Light sour cream is fine, too.)
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup vegetable broth
fresh or dried parsley (optional)

1. Cook noodles according to package. Drain and keep warm.
2. In extra-large skillet, cook mushrooms and garlic in hot oil over med-high heat 5-8 mins. or until tender, stirring occasionally. (Reduce heat if mushrooms brown too quickly.) Remove from skillet with slotted spoon and keep warm. Leave "juice" in skillet.
3. For sauce, in bowl combine sour cream, flour, paprika, and pepper. Stir in broth until smooth. Add to skillet. Cook and stir for several minutes, until thickened and bubbly.
4. Serve mushroom mixture and sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Serves 4.

Tomorrow night, it's herbed chicken with orzo and zucchini!

4. Here is what Nick said to me in the car today, apropos of nothing: Mommy, what am I going to do? I love Jen (Luley, a 30-something friend of mine who has since moved to Germany, but for whom Nick still pines pitifully) AND Tara (the teen girlfriend of my step-nephew). I can't love two girls, can I? (I interjected "No - that's usually not a good idea.") If I love two girls, I'd have to live in two houses. I guess I'm going to have to break up with one of them. But which one? I don't know what to do. (Here, I pointed out that Jen already has a husband, so maybe she's not a good candidate for his love.) Jen has a husband? Where can I meet a girl who doesn't already have a husband? ("Preschool?" I offered.) I don't like the girls at preschool - I only love Jen and Tara!...

He went on in the same vein for awhile. I'm not sure if he ever solved his dilemma, but it was sure entertaining! :) I tell you, this kid's a grade-A hoot.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I love Nick stories, that kid IS a hoot!

Your dinner sounds delicious too.

MissouriMormonMama said...

Amy,

You are putting me to shame this week with blogging! Oh well. Sounds like some good dinners, I enjoy trying different recipes, maybe I'll give that stroganoff a try (there are so many variations on stroganoff, it seems).

Nick is funny- Thanks for sharing ( :

Patty O. said...

What a Romeo. Cracks me up!! I can't wait to see what adolescence is going to be like in your house. Nick will be spending countless hours trying to decide which girl to take to prom. And I am sure he will have girls all over him!