Saturday, January 3, 2009

progress report

Well, I'm pleased to report that I've already made a bit of progress towards a couple of my goals. I actually dusted the house a couple of days ago (not a totally thorough job, but still!), and today, I purged a few small items! Purging really does feel good, and the key is to just take one small area at a time. See, my problem is that I have such an "all-or-nothing" mentality that I feel like if I'm going to do something, I have to do it all at once, or it's no good. So, I end up just being paralyzed by the thought of how big a job is, and doing nothing at all. I know I need to get over that, and I'm really trying. Today, I went through the little cabinet that holds my stationery, the coffee table drawer, the coat closet, and my small movie collection. Of course, I feel like I need to keep going, but I'm not really in the mood. I need to get over my internal struggle about it and realize that it's OK if that's all I do today. I think that the key to success is going to be picking one cabinet or shelf each day (or a couple of times a week), and realizing that it's OK to stop there. Same goes for transferring all of my seasonal decor to plastic tubs. The thought of going to Walmart and buying dozens of tubs at once, and then moving all of the stuff at once, is rather paralyzing. So, I've decided that maybe twice a month, I'm going to buy two tubs and then fill those. If I keep that up, I should be done within a few months, and it will be relatively painless! Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted on how it's going...

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I have the same problem. Plus, i tend to get distracted by other disorganized areas and then don't finish any task. What I have been doing is assigning myself one room per week (sometimes more if the room is easy or small). So that week, I need to clean out all Danny's room, closet, etc. for example. I have to repeatedly remind myself to stick only to his room and not start in on my dresser while I am at it. Once I am done with the room, I can start another, but if I don't get to it, no big deal. I kind of mapped out two months of where i would work in the house. That way, I still have time for the normal cleaning and laundry too and the rest of the house doesn't suffer while I am decluttering. Also, I don't get so overwhelmed.

Whew, that was a long comment. Sorry.