Thursday, March 20, 2008

pick-me-ups

I realize that this post might come off as rather braggy and self-indulgent, but it's my blog, and, well, I don't care! :) It's just that during the past few days, there have been several instances where I've received compliments about my body's abilities and appearance, and I feel like posting about them, because they've put me on cloud 9.

On Monday, on my way out of Springfield, I stopped at Drury University's (my alma mater) bookstore to try to find a Drury t-shirt. When I was at the cash register making my purchase, I was chatting with the clerk, and I mentioned that I had graduated 11 years ago. She exclaimed "Eleven years ago?! But you look so young!" I promptly decided that she's my new best friend. :)

Yesterday in kickboxing class, the instructor complimented me on my form during one of our combos, and today, the same instructor complimented my form on a weight-lifting move. Later in the class, I asked her for ideas for exercises to whittle my waist. See, I'm loving my thinner body, but one thing that I don't like is how my waist appears "thick" in relation to my hips - there just isn't much waist definition going on. Well, in response, she said "It's going to be tough for you to get that look because you have such slim hips." What??? I have slim hips? Shut up! That was news to me. At another point during the weight-lifting we were doing, the woman behind me told me that I have great shoulders. At this point, I was about to pass out from sheer bliss. I mean, what a bounty of kudos!

Today, I took Nick to his appointment with the nutritionist, who, by the way, declared that Nick is not at all fat and that he has the best 4-year-old diet she's ever seen. It was funny - she had been given his height and weight info, and when we walked in and she saw Nick, she looked surprised and said "That's not what I was expecting - what are you guys even doing here?" That made me very happy. Anywho, I was telling her that in my family, we tend to be very solid and to weigh more than we look like, and I told her that I weigh about 170 lbs. She was incredulous, and kept asking me if I was sure.

So, as you can see, I have had many reasons this week to be flattered and thrilled, and I'm a very happy girl right now. Frankly, I don't even care that much what my weigh-in brings tomorrow. I'm sorry if you want to vomit or slap me now, but rest assured that I'm done. :)

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

That is so awesome and I think you should definitely blog about it! I know I would!! It's cool, too, to get compliments on things other than weight, like how shapely your shoulders are, etc. because it reminds me that there are other measurements of fitness and health than just a number on the scale. And it is always nice to be told one looks younger than one is. My ob gyn was surprised at my age when I was pregnant with Charlotte. I wanted to kiss him, but thought it would be awkward....

Also, glad to hear the nutritionist's news was good. It is nice to hear someone be so sensible when it comes to the BMI hype. I mean, I don't know another preschooler whose diet is so healthy!!!!! Congratulations on all your accomplishments.

Also, i keep checking to see your weigh-in today. I totally thought it was Friday....My brain is fried.