Wednesday, March 26, 2008

oatmeal, a spark plug, underwear, and an area rug

I'll get to the meaning of the title in a moment. First, I want to introduce you to our new little pets, Thomas and Percy! Aren't they cute? We decided it was time for Nick to have a little something to take care of and love, and goldfish seemed the perfect way to start. I must confess that my past is littered with a shameful, stinky, glassy-eyed procession of dead fish, but I have high hopes this time. And, when all is said and done, if they die, we're only out 28 cents each! Macabre, but a simple fact of finance. :)

Nick was quite proud to pick these guys out, and I love their coloring. And I picked the glass "rocks", allowing me to teach Nick a lesson about complementary colors. It never fails to amaze me how many "teachable moments" occur in WalMart! Nick wants to take the fish in the bath with him tonight; I'm still trying to get him to understand that that would NOT be advisable. :)





Now, on to the meaning of my cryptic post title. See, it always amuses me to note the motley assortment of things that I buy during one trip to WalMart. I mean, only at a store like that could you buy the four things mentioned in the title! I was tickled by the array of items that landed on the checkout belt today. In addition to two goldfish and their accoutrements, we left with:

*various foodstuffs (including Boca Chik'n Patties - yummy!)

*light bulbs

*Good Nites

*hand weights

*self-tanner

*nail polish

*picture frames

*and a padded mailer

No underwear or spark plugs today! Maybe next time...

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

You are hysterical. I love the teachable moments concept. You can never start too young on the lesson of complementary colors, I've always said. Too, too funny.

BTW, I think I might benefit from that lesson myself...