Tuesday, March 11, 2008

???!!!

I'm stunned! I'm just stunned! "Stunned" is the only word I can think of to describe just how...stunned I am! (For those of you who don't know, this is a Blanche quote from the Golden Girls). Here's why:

Today, when I was picking Nick up from preschool, Brian surprised us by showing up - he had some free time and decided to drop by for the pick-up. Yay! As we were walking out together, one of the other moms turned to Nick and said "Is this Grandpa?" My jaw pretty much dropped. I mean, come on! Does my husband really look old enough to be Nick's grandpa? And if we spin this out to the next level, does this mean that she thought he looked old enough to be MY DAD??? He's only 9 years older than me, for Pete's sake!

Even more shocking to me is that Brian told me that this was about the third time that has happened to him. I just find the whole thing depressing. I swear that Brian doesn't look like he could be Nick's grandpa, but the fact that other people seem to think so is shocking and sobering. And I'm sure it doesn't thrill him too much, either.

He took it in stride, cheerfully saying "No, I'm his Dad!", and I could tell the woman was mortified. She tried (very lamely) to save herself, mumbling "Oh, I didn't mean to age you - it's just that some of the other kids have had Grandpas visiting lately." What?

Harrumph!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Unbelievable! Brain does not look that old at all. In fact, when I met him I was surprised to find out how much older he is than you. To me, he seemed right about our age, not really much older than that. Weird the things people say.

This has happened to my sister, who is about 2 years younger than I am. her neighbor at one point thought she was my brother's mother. My brother who was in his twenties at the time. I mean, come on! Give me a break.

I think in Brian's case maybe it is that so many people have kids so young nowadays. I mean, I have a friend who is in her late 30s who is now a grandma (her teen daughter had a baby). Maybe the woman was thinking along those lines? I don't know....