Monday, August 6, 2007

well, blow me down!

Today, I did something I should have done a long time ago - I picked up a brochure at McDonald's with the nutritional info for all of its foods. OMG! I mean, it's not like I didn't know the stuff was high in calories, fat, sodium, etc., but to see it all in print is pretty sobering. While I was there, I had a relatively healthful lunch of a hamburger and a fruit & walnut salad. Go, me! Anywho, it's funny, because in a previous blog, I wrote about how I was proud of myself for choosing a cone instead of an M&M McFlurry. Boy, I did not realize just how stupendous of a choice that was. Here's the scoop (pun intended): a cone has 150 cals., 3.5 grams fat, 15 grams chol., 60 mgs sodium, 24 grams carb., 18 grams sugar. By comparison, an M&M McFlurry has (are you ready?) 620 cals.(!), 20 grams fat, 55 grams chol., 190 grams sodium, 96 grams carb., and 85 grams sugar. I can tell you one thing: seeing that info in black and white pretty much ensured that I will never again have a McFlurry! There really is power in knowledge. There are a few things at McD's that are decent choices, like the hamburger, 4-piece chicken nuggets, anything with grilled chicken, apple dippers, parfait, and cone. So, take heart! You can still eat pretty decently there, as long as you know what to get and what to avoid.

I'm doing well sticking to my 1800 calories a day (Yesterday, with exercise, I netted under 1500!), but I'm constantly hungry! I keep telling myself that my stomach will shrink and the hunger will abate eventually, but it's hard to soldier through. Even as I type, my stomach is growling and I feel slightly nauseated. But, I still have 630 calories to go today, and it's already almost 7 p.m. So, I guess I should go eat something!....

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

It is amazing when you see the numbers in black and white. I remember being shocked that a Big Mac had almost all the fat and calories you can eat in a day. Yikes! It really doesn't seem worth it when it is spelled out like that.

I was thinking about how you said that you are always hungry. I remember somebody once advising me that if I was humgry a lot, I should increase the amount of protein I was eating as it is more satisfying and takes longer to digest than carbohydrates. It really helps a lot. And there are so many sources of protein that you doesn't necessarily need to eat a lot of meat if you'd rather not. I have been snacking a lot on almonds and cheese and foodlike that. Just a thought! Good luck.