Sunday, August 12, 2007

the amazing shrinking stomach

So, for 6 days, I only ate at home, and I carefully tracked my calories and kept them in check. Then, last night, I was faced with the first BBQ invitation during my weight-loss campaign. We went to the BBQ, and I was bound and determined to control myself. I thought I was being so good! I ate just one hamburger with some ketchup and mustard, about 8 oven-baked fries, a helping of this tomato and sour cream salad, and a small amount of broccoli salad. Probably too many calories by my new standards, but way less food than I would have eaten in the past. Well, when I got done, I felt totally AWFUL! I mean, I felt bloated and disgusting and sluggish and my stomach actually hurt. And even worse, this feeling persisted for a couple of hours afterward. It totally blew my mind. Obviously, even in just 6 days of dieting, my stomach must have shrunk a little or at least gotten "used" to less food. I was just miserable. I guess that's actually a good thing. I really don't want to feel that way ever again, so I'm going to do my best not to! The body's ability to adapt and change really amazes me. And I'm proud of myself, because even though I felt so gross, I made myself do my 30-min. aerobics video and I got through it. Not a huge amount of exercise, but better than nothing.

I bought a new workout DVD today (I need some variety!) and also ordered the Gazelle Edge elliptical machine (that one marketed by Tony Little). I just need to surround myself with different ways to exercise, I think. I get bored very easily, like a 5-year-old! :) But, with my newfound determination and a little help from my friends (you know who you are!), I think I'm finally on my way....

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

OK, that previous comment is strange!!! I know what you mean about how much our bodies can change. It is always a bit of a surprise when I realize that reverting to old eating patterns really makes me feel gross. Last week I treated myself to a donut for breakfast and paid for half the day. I felt sick to my stomach, tired and sluggish. I used to be able to eat like that all the time, but not anymore. Maybe our bodies are actually working FOR us instead of AGAINST us, like I used to believe.