Thursday, May 29, 2008

melancholy

Jutta is gone, so it's been a sad day for me. Last night's dinner went well, although the packers took way longer than anticipated to finish packing up their stuff, so they got here a lot later than we thought they would. As a result, they could only stay for about an hour and a half, much to my disappointment. But, they enjoyed the home-cooked meal and we had lots of good conversation, and took some photos and video. Jutta gave me the most wonderful gift - it's a figurine called "two alike", of two women standing back to back with their hands touching. It's so perfect, because we really are alike in so many ways! It's such a touching gift, and it's going to be wonderful to have a tangible object that will remind me of Jutta and our friendship every time I look at it. It was bittersweet to watch the boys play together for one last time - they had a crazy, raucous, great time, as usual! Little buddies. When the time came for them to leave and Jutta hugged me, I pretty much broke down and then cried for a while after they drove off. It was so very hard for me to say goodbye to her. But, I'll be OK. As my Dad always says: This, too, shall pass.

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

This may sound extreme, but reading this post made me tear up. I am really sad for you and Jutta and for your parting. As nice as it is these days to be able to keep in touch over email, it just isn't the same as living in the same town. You just don't get to participate in each others' lives in the same way. I am sorry and wish I could make it all better!!!