Thursday, May 22, 2008

maybe it's like childbirth

So, this morning was the last MOPS meeting of the school year. As usual, I availed myself of the baked goodness, eating a muffin, a slice of sweetbread, some pudding, half of a sausage biscuit, and a couple bites of cinnamon roll. I know, I know. But it only gets worse. Because after that was the Army Band picnic, and I ate a hot dog, some potato salad, fruit (yay!), a chicken leg, more fruit, and three different desserts. Then, I sat there feeling disgusting, bloated, uncomfortable, and sore, and I thought "How many times does one have to do a behavior and then regret it before one will actually not do it again?" I mean, really! It kills me that no matter how many times I overeat and then feel bad, I don't seem to be able to control myself the next time I'm in a similar situation. The only thing I can figure is that it must be like childbirth - you know, the way women seem to "forget" how painful it is so that they're willing to go through it again. Having never gotten to transition and ending up with a C-Section, I wouldn't know personally, but I'm thinkin' there must be a certain amount of amnesia that occurs.

So, I'm feeling pretty down on myself right now, and tomorrow's weigh-in will probably not be a happy occasion. Sigh. :( I AM looking forward to yoga, though, and to the veritable treasure trove of TV tonight - the season finales of Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy, PLUS the 2-hour premiere of So You Think You Can Dance!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Sometimes I actually want to avoid parties where there will be yummy food, because I know I will not be able to control myself. I don't know why it happens. At other times, I know I eat because I am stressed or lonely, but when it comes to parties, I think I eat because the food is so delicious and everyone else is eating. Sometimes I try to remind myself that I will regret it later, but that doesn't always help. I wish I had a solution.

One suggestion I have read is to eat soup or salad before the party so you aren't as hungry and apt to overindulge, but that doesn't really help me. I just feel even worse because I have not only overeaten at the BBQ, but also had soup beforehand....With BBQ season looming, I should probably try to come up with coping techniques.

This might sound really weird, but I have been experimenting with visualization and it seems to be helping.

This comment is getting really long, so I will just email you....