Saturday, January 26, 2008

a nice day with my daddy

My Dad arrived this morning around 10:30, and we had a nice time! The first thing we did was head to the commissary to get some groceries. He always likes to go there to see what he can get a good deal on. After we got home and got everything put away, he taught me how to play chess! Why he never taught me before is a mystery to both of us. I guess he never thought of it, and I never asked. :) Anyway, I really like it! It's fraught with complicated strategy, to be sure, and will take a long time to really master, but it's right up my alley. It calls for much anticipation and analysis, and an eagle-eye. Now that I know the basic moves and how to play, I can work on polishing my skill. We bought a super cheapo set for me at WalMart, and I'm even going to try to teach Brian. Does anyone around here know how to play? I can see myself getting sort of obsessed with it, because it's just so "meaty" - does that make sense? It puts my other love, backgammon, to shame. I mean, compared to chess, backgammon is child's play!

After the chess and Nick's nap, we headed to a newer restaurant here that we'd never eaten at - Miller's Grill. We actually had a great experience there, which is hard to find around here! We all liked our food, and we had good service. Nick's hamburger was supposed to be well but came with a pink center, and they quickly brought us a new one when we pointed that out. So, we really couldn't complain! We'll definitely go there again.

After dinner, we stopped by WalMart, where we got the aforementioned chess set, and Dad bought a Buzz Lightyear toy and "Toy Story 2" for Nick for his birthday. Then, Dad headed home, and we have just been lounging about our living room for the rest of the evening. Nick has been rather turdly, and he finally got so intolerable that we banished him to an early bedtime. Poor kid. :) Hopefully, tomorrow he'll be calmer. One thing that should help is that it's going to be so freakishly warm here (close to 60!) that Brian is planning to take Nick to the park so he can run off his energy - the poor kid really needs that. It's been so cold here that I can't remember the last time he played outside.

I'm feeling rather guilty about my eating today, and about the fact that I've only exercised one out of the past 3 days, so I'm all over it tomorrow. No rest for the weary...

P.S. As I predicted, the fact that he pooped on the potty once served in no way to make Nick more willing to do it again. We went through minor trauma once again today, and for the sake of logistics and timing, ended up letting him use a diaper. :(
We're going to get medieval on him again tomorrow, though.

2 comments:

Patty O. said...

That is so cool you are getting into chess. I had a really cute boy in college teach me how to play, but have forgotten most of it (it was hard to concentrate with the cute boy so close by). I would love to take it up again. Maybe I should buy a set. I think Bil knows how to play....Hmmmm...that is a good idea, especially for this time of the year when you are stuck inside.

I feel your pain with Nick. danny has been struggling too. The poop thing is completely driving me nuts! I don't even know what to do about it. I am going to a potty training workshop at ESPS in a couple of weeks. I will let you know if I learn anything helpful.

Anonymous said...

I know how to play, but, your right few people do. Spencer is quite good at it so don't go there you will probably just not want to play again. We have a 3 person board though and several others. We collect them. Little known fact.