Tuesday, September 11, 2007

patriots' day

I don't think it's right to say "Happy Patriots' Day!", because it's not exactly a day to celebrate, given what it commemorates. Rather, it's a day for us to be mindful and aware, and above all else, a day to be thankful for our freedom, which is hard-won and never to be taken for granted. We our so lucky to live in this country and to take for granted things that other people can only dream about (or maybe can't even imagine). The dark side of this freedom that we have is the fact that it had to be fought for and that it continues, ALWAYS, to have to be fought for. I know I don't come off as an overly patriotic person, but I love my country and I realize what it means to be an American. When we were at the parade in St. James the other day, every time a group of veterans rode by, tears actually came to my eyes. It was very powerful to hear everyone applaud as they went by. When I think of all of the men and women in the history of our country who have fought for our freedom and the freedom of others, it fills me with awe and humility. I'm married to a soldier, and though he has never been in a war, the fact remains that he signed up to go to war if so called. That makes me very proud of him. Someone has to do it, and my husband is (potentially) one of those someones.

I'll stop rambling now. Today, please stop and think just for a minute about the freedoms that we have here, the freedoms that others in the world want to destroy. Think about how lucky we are, and how brave and selfless are the people who have fought and who continue to fight for America. And if you see a member of our military, please thank him or her for serving.

We are all so incredibly blessed!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I completely agree!! And please thank Brian for me. I, for one, am not nearly brave enough to sign up for the military, so I really appreciate those who do. I always feel a bit awed at the movies when they have those National Guard commercials. What an enormous sacrifice!!!