Monday, September 17, 2007

back home, safe and sound

Well, it appears that I spoke too soon about the delights of fall. :( The high temps are back up around 90 now. Grrrrrrrrr! Why can't fall just come and stay awhile?

We had a very full weekend in Springfield. We arrived Saturday evening in time for Tim and his mom to come over and join us for pizza. Nick is like a nephew to Tim and like a grandson to Kathie, so they always love getting to bask in his utter cuteness. (Nick quote: "Old McDonald had a problem, E-I-E-I-O!") After dinner, Tim and I went out for a spot of shopping in his faboo new vehicle (a 2004 Buick Rendezvous). We found a Halloween costume possibility for Nick (a dragon), and also got a new computer desk for our living room.

Nick had been sickly and coughing, and we ended up taking him to the ER at 11:30 Saturday night. After waiting for 2 hours, he was finally seen and diagnosed with croup (the hallmarks of which are gasping for breath and a cough that sounds like a seal barking). It was very scary when he had an "attack," so we finally decided to take him in. He got a breathing treatment and a steroid shot, and he is now doing much better. Still not quite himself and a bit sedate, but no more barking or gasping. And of course, he charmed everyone in the ER. Every nurse we saw commented on his cuteness and loquaciousness. He loved getting to play with everyone's "stefoscope." We didn't get home until 3 a.m., so needless to say, we were all quite tired on Sunday.

We decided to go to Cider Days nonetheless, and had a nice time walking around and looking at the vendors' booths, etc. Nick was quiet and wanted to be carried a lot (lovely, except for the fact that he weighs 40 lbs.!), but he enjoyed seeing and petting all the dogs there. I actually ran into a college professor of mine, which was quite a surprise! I hadn't seen him in over 10 years. We had a really nice chat, and he enjoyed meeting Nick.

After Cider Days, Brian and I went out and did some shopping. Among other things, we found another Halloween costume possibility for Nick (a monkey), a new pair of walking shoes for me, and some fall clothes for Nick. After the shopping, we returned back to my Dad's house and Tim came by again for another visit.

After a deliciously long sleep on Sunday night, I got up this morning refreshed and went to get my hair cut by my longtime hairdresser and friend, Tracy. We had a great time chatting, and my hair is all freshened up!

Now, we're home again, and I've been getting some stuff done around the house. Tonight, I have choir rehearsal - yay!

So, that was our weekend. It's always fun to go to Springfield, but it's always quite busy and tiring, too. That's why I always love getting back to my own home and returning to my routine. Starting tomorrow, I can resume exercising and eating better, and just generally get back into the swing of things. (contented sigh)

Hope all of you reading this had a great weekend!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I knew you of all people would know exactly what I was talking about. I almost called you after Bil and I had a bit of a heated discussion about the whole thing, but it was midnight. We are fine now. I had Bil read the blog and I think he understands a bit better why I feel the way I do.

Amy, you are the best. Having you in my corner means the world to me. I appreciate your confidence in me and all your encouragement. Especially because I know you are honest and don't just tell me what i want to hear. Thank you, thank you! I feel so much better having ranted a bit and I guess more than anything, knowing that I have friends like you who will always be there.