Thursday, September 27, 2007

3 1/2-year-old boy for sale. comes with supplies. make offer. financing available.

My child is really testing me lately, and sometimes, I'm flat-out failing. Ya know what I mean? Potty-training has totally gone by the wayside. He doesn't even go on the potty at all anymore - he just doesn't care. Having a pantload of poop or pee doesn't even phase him. I know that he knows what to do and how it all works, but what do you do if your child just can't be bothered? Grrr. And now he has this new lovely thing where he'll poop in his pants and not bother to let anyone know. At home, this is not a problem, because I'm quite attuned to the telltale odor. At preschool, however, it's proving to be much more of a problem, and it's making me rather unhappy with both him and his teachers. I don't know if his preschool has some weird "can't look at a kid's private parts" policy or what, but there seems to be this pattern forming where he'll poop in his pants, the teacher will think she smells something, will ask him, and he'll say "No." Then, rather than actually checking for herself, she will just send him into the bathroom all alone to try to go on the potty. Nick goes into the bathroom and attempts to pull down his poop-filled pants, resulting in a huge mess everywhere and the immediate need for new pants. Now, wouldn't you think that the teacher herself would want to avoid this scenario? Apparently not. I'm going to have to have a talk with them, I guess. I just never wanted to be the "bitchy mom" - the squeaky wheel, the one who seems to think her child should get special attention. It's bad enough that he's the only one in his class that isn't potty-trained. I hate to make him even more of a special case - I mean, I know that they have like 14 other kids to worry about, too. But, I know that I need to get over that. I'm not thrilled with this preschool, but because he's not potty-trained, it's my only option.

OK - enough about pee and poop! Sorry about that. Yes, I have turned into one of those people who sits around talking to anyone who'll listen about her kid's urine and feces. I hate to admit it, but it's true. :)

Let's just move on to his other frustrating behavior, such as constantly being defiant and telling us "no." Or acting like a lunatic if I so much as make a phone call. Or being generally destructive, spastic, and irrational. (Yes, I know that he's 3 and that irrationality is not abnormal at this age. However, that doesn't mean that I can't vent about it!) Or dragging his toes on the asphalt when he's on the trike at preschool, the result of which is that now 2 new pairs of shoes are just about worn through at the toes. Or the fact that no matter how many times I prep him before preschool, going over the ideas of peeing in the potty, telling when he poops, and not dragging his toes, he never actually does any of those things!! :( Sorry - I'm just incredibly frustrated today. Can you tell that this has been a bad day with him? Thanks for "listening"...

P.S. Did have a good MOPS meeting today, so it's not all bad. :)

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Oh, Amy, I feel your pain. And this is one time I can honestly say that I know exactly how you feel. At least, I have the same exact problems/frustrations with my kid. You know what I have way too much to say to put it here. I am going to email you. Be back in a minute.