Wednesday, December 17, 2008

last night was interesting...

Tim got here just fine, and I went ahead to the theater, leaving him with Nick. They had dinner at McDonald's together before proceeding to the concert. My friends Katherine and Brigitte also attended the concert last night - it's so nice to have peeps sitting out there! As a whole, the concert went well - the privates loved the music, and the band sounded great, minus a few isolated issues. Unfortunately, when I went out on stage to sing my first number, "Man with the Bag," there were technical issues and my mike wasn't on for the whole first half of the song! I just kept singing as though nothing were wrong (because what else could I do?), and halfway through, someone walked out and traded mikes with me, handing me one that actually worked, so at least the end of the song was audible. I must say that I looked quite smashing in my red dress and silver shoes, and I was having a great hair night, thanks to the wonders of the flat iron. :) The whole mike debacle was disappointing, but I really didn't stress too much about it - I mean, at least no one could blame me for it, and I just carried on and did what I was supposed to do. Luckily, the mike was just fine for "O, Holy Night," though the tempo was way too slow. I'm going to have to talk to the commander before tonight's concert and hope that she picks up the pace tonight. The guy who served as the "MC" last night had some hilarious gaffes, such as saying "Mannheim Stroller" and saying that "Man with the Bag" was sung in the 1950s by Karl Starr (it was sung by Kay Starr). Everyone had a good time, though, and spirits were high. After the concert, I hung around visiting with my peeps, and we even took some pictures, which I'll share soon.

When we got back to my house, we discovered that school had already been cancelled for today, which is completely inexplicable, considering that we really only had negligible precip yesterday, and the roads are totally fine. Go figure. The disappointing thing is that Nick's class Xmas party was supposed to be today, and Tim and I were going to attend. I'm assuming that they'll have the party tomorrow, but I won't be able to go, because I have a MOPS meeting. Alas. :(

Tim will be leaving after lunch today, and my Dad is going to come and take Nick with him to tonight's concert. Dad will then spend the night and come with us to Nick's Christmas program tomorrow evening. Should be fun!

Wish me luck for tonight - hopefully the technical glitches will have been worked out! I just hope my voice holds out - I'm feeling a bit hoarse this morning. I'll be so glad when the concert is over tonight, and then I can just relax, and it won't matter if I get sick or lose my voice!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I am so glad your performance went well, for the most part. I was really worried about the weather. Our weather has been a bit dicey, nothing too terrible, but I didn't know if you had gotten hit worse. Good luck!