Wednesday, October 1, 2008

sometimes ya gotta make a choice...

I'm feeling a little guilty, because I have decided to drop out of the Rolla Community Choir this semester, after having already attended a few rehearsals. The reason is that I was just offered a lovely paying solo gig for the very same day as the choir concert. And when one weighs a paying solo gig against a non-paying choral gig....well, the choice really isn't that hard to make. So, I shall have to go to next Monday's rehearsal to tell the director and turn my music in. Another plus of this is that I will save a ton of money on gas, since I won't be driving 50 miles round-trip each week for choir rehearsal!

I have realized that in the next 3 months, I have 5 gigs that I know of (3 of which are paid!), which is quite unheard of for me in recent years. The pickin's are usually quite slim for me, living in these small towns, but things seem to have come together for me this fall. On October 20, I will be singing a Mozart aria with the 399th Army Band clarinet quartet at their concert at MSU in Springfield. On Oct. 24, Tim and I have been hired by Drury to sing at a dinner - I'll be doing a Broadway solo and duet. On November 16, I will be singing at National Avenue Christian Church (NACC) in Springfield (not sure what I'm singing yet). In December, I will be performing two solos with the Army Band in their Christmas concerts ("The Man with the Bag" and "O, Holy Night" - what a dichotomy!), and on December 14, I will be singing again at NACC in their lessons and carols service - probably Messiah stuff, since that's sort of my "specialty". What an embarrassment of riches! It's going to be busy and stressful, but I say "bring it on!"

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

That is so great! I remember when you lived here and bemoaned the lack of singing opportunities. I say with a talent like yours it's a sin not to use it. I am so glad you are finding such great (and paying, too) gigs. Good for you. I am sure it is so gratifying to be appreciated for your abilities.