Friday, October 3, 2008

disappointments/new goal

I've had a couple of disappointments the past couple of days. First of all, I found out that the Army Band clarinet quartet gig at MSU will most likely have to be postponed until next semester, due to scheduling problems with the band. I was really looking forward to performing that Mozart aria with them! Oh, well - I just hope the gig does, indeed, happen next semester. Also, I found out last night that my friend Amber won't be coming today to visit. She's in St. Louis with a friend who is about to have a baby - Amber went there to help her out with the birth. They expected that she would have had the baby by now, but she hasn't, so Amber won't be leaving St. Louis today after all. Hopefully, the day she does end up leaving will work out for a quick visit here - she's going to keep me posted.

I was also a little disappointed to have gained a pound this week, since I feel like I've eaten pretty well and have worked out quite a bit, but that's OK, because it has galvanized me to set a new, very do-able goal: I would like to lose 6.5 more lbs. and get down to 140 by Thanksgiving. That's less than a pound a week, so I should be able to do it if I buckle down. I have chosen 140 because I think it might be a little low for me to maintain, so my thought is that if I can get down to that before the holidays, that will give me some leeway to gain a few pounds during the holidays without worrying about it. I think I'm going to end up leveling out at 145, so I just want a little wiggle room! Or I might end up deciding that as long as I'm somewhere between 140 and 145, I'm good. Anywho, here is how I'm going to lose 6.5 lbs. by Thanksgiving:

*Start really counting calories again, limiting myself to 1400 calories at least 6 days out of the week
*Start using www.my-calorie-counter.com again to keep track of my calories and to also make sure that my fat, sugar, fiber, and protein intake is desirable
*Continue working out for an hour most days of the week, maintaining a good balance of cardio and strength-training
*Start adding more jogging to my exercise routine, by jogging a mile after class as often as possible and using my treadmill at home

If I stick to this plan, I'm sure I can achieve my goal!

Have a great weekend, everyone.

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Wow, it sounds like you are determined! I really like the idea of giving yourself wiggle room in your weight. That seems really smart and healthy as everyone fluctuates from time to time. I also like that you will keep your calories to 1400 for 6 days of the week. This sounds so smart to me. I may have to implement that when I am back in weight loss mode.

I am so impressed with your determination! I wish you could come and be my personal trainer.