Saturday, October 18, 2008

it's been a nice, but busy, week!

Hello, everyone! Sorry I haven't been blogging this week. I've been busy and just not inspired to blog. But, my week has been good. Midweek was fairly uneventful, but things perked up on Thursday, when I went to my friend Brigitte's house for a "singing party." Brigitte is a German woman who loves to entertain and also loves music and singing, and she likes to invite people over to eat and then sit around the piano and sing hymns and, in this case, Christmas carols (in October!). Her gatherings are always very "international" - she has this way of collecting friends who happen to be from all over the globe, and then bringing people together so that they can all benefit from knowing each other. She's at her best and happiest when entertaining and hosting friends. This time, there were several Germans, along with a few of us Americans, a Spanish woman, and a British woman. All lovely people! We ate delicious brunchy fare and then sat around the piano and sang, and it was really fun. I was sad when I finally had to leave to pick up Nick, and the party was still going.

Friday, Tim came from Springfield and arrived just in time to accompany me and Nick to the 399th Army Band chili cook-off and fundraising auction. What fun we had! We met Brian there, in addition to the rest of the band and many spouses and kids, and availed ourselves of the delicious chili - there were 12 batches in all, so there was no way one could try them all. My chili didn't win, but I didn't really expect it to. It's good chili, but isn't particularly exotic or "different." There was also cornbread, tortilla chips, various toppings for the chili, and dips. And, of course, there was a dessert table. Yum! (groan). After the eating, there was an auction of stuff we had donated in order to raise money for the band. There were some funny moments as people's "junk" was auctioned off - or, in some cases, virtually given away for free. :) All-in-all, it was a really fun afternoon of good food, good conversation, and laughter.

Yesterday evening, Tim and I went to the commissary together for some grocery shopping, which was fun because, well, pretty much anything Tim and I do together is fun! There's always all manner of ridiculousness, hilarity, and public embarrassment. :) It's all good.

After we were home for the evening, we worked on the duet that we'll be singing next Friday at our gig at Drury University - we hashed out the song itself and also our staging, and it's going to be really cute! It's a love song from The Fantasticks. Then, we spent some quality time with Nick, eating popcorn and turning off all the lights so that we could turn on our Halloween shadow lamp and ooh and aah at the effect. Nick loves that thing, and it has become an October tradition for us.

At almost 10 p.m., Tim and I went for a late-night snack at Wendy's, and then we almost got Tim his first tattoo, but the artist was working on someone already, and it was going to be a long wait. By this time, it was after 11, and we were tired, so we gave up. :(

This morning, we worked on our song again and then had a "fashion show" with my various dresses, shoes, and jewelry so that Tim could help me pick which stuff to wear for our gig, my cousin's wedding, and the Army Band Christmas concerts. Tim is so invaluable when it comes to these things, and I honestly don't know what I'd do without his input!

Tim has gone back to Springfield, and the rest of the day will be devoted to domestic chores, exercising, and just bonding with Brian and Nick. Tomorrow, I'm doing the usual Sunday Walmart trip, and in the afternoon, I'll be accompanying my friend Mike to the local high school choir concert. Should be fun!

Another busy week starts Monday, with flu shots, a pumpkin patch trip, MOPS, and my trip to Springfield!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

That singing party sounds so great. I am jealous!! Sounds like you had a great week...