Tuesday, September 9, 2008

headless chicken

Today has been one of those days that makes me feel like a chicken with my head cut off! I am just now, at 6 p.m., chilling out for the very first time. I got up at 6, got ready, got Nick ready, and took him to preschool. I went to kickboxing class, sweated my butt off, and then rushed home to have a snack and change before picking Nick up. Then, we rushed home (again) to eat lunch and brush our teeth before heading out to the dentist. We got home from the dentist (We both have fabulous teeth, in case you were wondering.) just in time to receive a phone call from an appliance repair guy from whom we'd been waiting to hear back about fixing our washing machine. He said he could be here in 10 minutes! I hurriedly got Nick in bed for his nap right before the guy arrived. After he left (to the tune of $80, only $28 of which, of course, was for the actual part the machine needed), I had just enough time to send some time-sensitive emails before heading to my first PTO meeting. I went to the PTO meeting, picked up dinner on the way home, and now here I sit. (long, slow exhalation)



I have an inkling that I'm going to be feeling like this a lot from now right on through the holidays. I'll admit - some of it I bring on myself, and is totally unnecessary. But some of it is just the natural busyness that happens this time of year, with school, etc. The next couple of months are just going to be crazy, though! What with MOPS starting up again, my choir in Rolla resuming rehearsals, working out, yoga, preschool, etc., I'm going to be very busy. And I don't mind being busy, to an extent. It's sort of nice to have things to do and places to be. But, I'm also easily overwhelmed, and sometimes I need to remind myself to just stop and breathe, already! I'm also going to have lots of traveling coming up - several trips to Springfield (an hour and a half away) for various events and singing gigs, the 25-mile drive for choir rehearsals, a trip to IL, a trip to St. Louis for my cousin's wedding, etc. Whew! I hate to think of the money I'll be shelling out on gas alone these next few months.



But, I'm grateful that I have a full life and have the health and wherewithal to be a busy, productive person. Wish me luck on this merry-go-round!

2 comments:

Patty O. said...

I know what you mean about being easily overwhelmed. I have to keep busy to an extent; if I stay home day after day, I go crazy, but on the other hand, it doesn't take much to tip the scale in the opposite direction. There is an extremely fine line there which I cross all the time, without meaning to. The other problem is that my capabilities seem to shift from week to week. Does that make sense. One week having tons to do would exhilirate me and another week it is just too much.

OK, I will quit blathering on. Glad you liked the Mr. T song. It always brings a smile to my face. My fave part is "M is for the moans and the miserable groans when you gave birth to me." Bil and I regularly sing this song around the house.

Also, thanks for all the supportive posts. I really appreciate them!

MissouriMormonMama said...

What a day! I totally understand the busyness- and am just a tad bit jealous at the moment! I can't wait to be busy again. Good luck with keeping a balance.