Monday, September 15, 2008

more shopping goodness

It's funny - I've noticed that often, a day I end up categorizing as a "really good" day involves shopping. Specifically, bargain-shopping (but then, I don't really do any other kind). Today was such a day, to be sure. I dropped Nick off at preschool and then headed to Rolla, where I had an appointment to take some stuff into a used kids' clothing store for cash. Anytime I can hand over some of Nick's outgrown clothes and be handed a check for $50 ten minutes later is fine by me! So much easier than a garage sale. But, I still need to have one of those before we leave this place. I'm saving the bigger-ticket items for that, since I can get more money for them that way. But, I digress.

Check in pocket, I headed to JCPenney, that mecca for bargain-hunters. I left with a cute fall shirt - orig. $22, I paid $11; jeans for Nick - orig. $15, I paid $6.80; a dressy outfit (pants, shirt, vest, and tie) for Nick to wear to my cousin's wedding - orig. $33, I paid $21; and a dress possibility for me the wedding and various upcoming singing gigs (must keep my options open!) - orig. $50, I paid $34. So, not bad! At Walmart, I got myself yet another :) cute pair of shoes for $9, and at KMart, I got Nick a pair of cords for $4. But the best, most serendipitous thing of all happened at Big Lots. Later this fall, Nick will need a plain white sweatshirt for some art project they'll be doing at preschool. I've been keeping my eyes peeled, but it's surprising how very hard it is to find a white sweatshirt! Much harder than I would have thought. I walked into Big Lots and found an aisle where there was a messy hodge-podge of various sweat items, mostly in men's sizes. Well, buried amongst all of this was one lonely white sweatshirt in a size that will fit Nick, for $4! I couldn't believe my good fortune. Whoo hoo!

I picked up Nick and home we came. During his nap, I have been paying bills and catching up on online business. This evening, I have choir rehearsal, so the good day isn't over yet! I hope your day has been this satisfying...

2 comments:

Patty O. said...

Cool. That is especially wonderful finding the sweatshirt in Nick's size. The good price notwithstanding, it was miraculous (I would think) to merely have found it!

I am gld you reminded me of Penny's. I need to go out and buy a few maternity items, especially some pants and cute jeans (I refuse to live in the one pair of frumpy maternity jeans I own) and I often forget about Penny's. I will hit some thrift stores too, but those are so hit or miss. I just want a couple of things that make me feel nice, but I don't want to spend tons of money, as this will most likely be the last time I will don maternity clothes. Whoohooo!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Ooooh I need to look into find a place locally that takes used clothes like that. It could be my new favorite place to go!!

Great finds! I am still getting used to the fact that my child needs a new wardrobe EVERY season!

BTW, just wandered in here from blogger...cute blog!

~melody~