Friday, November 30, 2007

bye-bye, 180s!/random acts of kindness

First of all, I lost 3 more pounds this week, putting me into the 170s. Whoo hoo! I can't believe how far I've come. I can't remember the last time I weighed 178 pounds. I can't believe I'm in a size 14 jean. Boy, that's a lot of negatives for a girl in such a positive mood! :) Happiness. That's all.

Now for my second topic: random acts of kindness (RAKs). Recently, they discussed RAKs in Nick's preschool class, and the teachers sent home a sheet where they wanted us to record 5 RAKs performed by our child. That was pretty easy, as Nick is a sweet boy. These included such things as offering me a bite of his food, telling me he loved me out of the blue, etc.

This got me to thinking about RAKs. I remember years ago when that phrase became popular, putting a specific label on something that all of humankind should be doing naturally. I do my best to perform little RAKs most every day - things like telling someone I like her earrings, sending an email to a friend just because, etc. If I'm at WalMart and I see something that I know a friend wants or needs, I'll just pick it up for her. Stuff like that. But, I've always wanted to up the ante a little bit - kick it up a notch, if you will. Do something a little more off-the-wall and truly "random." For several years now, I have harbored the idea of paying for the person behind me in the McDonald's drive-through. I've wanted to do this for the longest time, but it seems like I never think of it when I'm actually IN the drive-through - just at other times. Well, today, I finally thought of it when I was actually there; I'm sure that this was caused in part by the warm, fuzzy Christmas spirit that has fully bloomed within me over the past week. Anywho, I got to the window and paid for my food, and then I said "I want to pay for the next person." The employee said "The woman in the van?", and I said "Sure!" It took her a minute to catch on - at first, she thought that I knew this person. I explained to her that I didn't know her from Eve and was just performing a holiday RAK. She acted like that was the coolest thing she'd ever heard of. I told her to just tell the woman that I said "Merry Christmas," and that I hope she'll pay it forward (Jill - you and I are of a similar mind lately!) by doing a RAK for someone else. Here's the best part: I looked in my rear-view mirror as the woman pulled up to the window. She held out her money, listened for a second, and then got a huge grin on her face. She waved at me, and I waved back, and then it was time for me to drive away. She didn't know who I was and will never know, and that is so cool! It wasn't about recognition - it was just about making someone's day. And I'm not going on about this in my blog to get kudos for it - honest! I'm going on about it because it felt even better than I thought it would. I have had my own grin pasted on my face ever since I got home, and I still get a rush just thinking about it.

So here's what I say to everyone reading this post: I challenge you to perform your own truly random act of kindness ASAP, whether it be the drive-through thing or something else. Be creative! Then, comment on this post and tell me about it. Let's start a sensation!

Merry Christmas to all.

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Wow, that is soooo cool. Last year Effingham chose "Pay it Forward" as the one book, one community book and brought the author here to speak. I had seen the movie, but the book was infinitely better. I remember when I first saw the movie and then years later when I read the book, I was motivated to do some great act for someone. Both times, I ended up offering strangers rides. After the movies, I saw a woman struggling with three kids and I gave them all a ride to their home. I wasn't even a mom yet, but now I am glad I helped her as I now how hard it can be with kids. Funny thing is, last year after I read the book, I saw a woman struggling with groceries coming from Aldi and gave her a ride too. I guess I am not very imaginative. It was cool to think of it and to look for ways to serve others. Thanks for the reminder that we should be doing this. I need to remember this. I know you are right about how good it feels. I am going to take your challenge and think of ways to help others. Thanks for inspiring me.
P.S. thank you for your comment on my Christmas tree blog. That was really sweet!