Tuesday, November 27, 2007

last choir rehearsal

Last night was the last rehearsal before the Rolla Chamber Singers concert on Sunday. Let's just say that there will be some good moments and some very tenuous ones. I'm a bit concerned about some of the pieces. But, we've reached the point where there's nothing more to be done, and we'll just have to see what happens at the concert. Sometimes, that "concert adrenaline" can work miracles. :) And this is certainly the perfect time of year for one of those!

I also rehearsed my solo ("O, Holy Night") in front of the choir, and it went OK. Again, it had a couple of places that I wasn't happy with, but hopefully, I'll have it ship-shape by Sunday. I always love singing this song at Christmas, so I'm glad to have the opportunity.

Our director recently announced that this will be his last concert with the RCS, as he is stepping down. It was quite a shocker, and I have mixed feelings about it. My main concern is that the choir will fall by the wayside. The choir president said that we won't do a concert next semester, but that a new director will be found and we will resume next fall, but I have to admit that I'm very dubious of this. The choir has dwindled over the past couple of years, and many of the members are older people. There just doesn't seem to be much passion for it among the members, and I fear that this loss of our director will be the fatal blow. I also think that it will be a tall order for them to find another director. Basically, I'm expecting that we will not resume, so that if we do, I'll just be pleasantly surprised. While this choir is admittedly not fabulous, it's still a choir to sing in, and it's the only one available to me here. So, if it is over, I will be quite sad and bereft of a singing outlet. :( Only time will tell...

Nick is at preschool, so I'm off to make the most of the next 1.5 hours!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I sure hope the choir does not fall by the wayside. As imperfect as it is, it is a chance for you to share your talents with others and find some kind of creative outlet. It would be a real shame to have that end. I am going to pray that they find a fabulous, really professional new choir director who is charismatic and can attract more singers and whip the choir into shape. (Sorry for the run-on sentence there....) I'm off to make a b-day cake for Charlotte.