Monday, November 12, 2007

you take the good, you take the bad

Well, the weekend was not all I expected it to be, but it was fine. We got to Springfield around 1:00 on Saturday, and later in the afternoon, I left to run an errand, after which I went over to Tim's house. Tim and I went to Panera for dinner (yummy French onion soup!) and then on to Drury University (my alma mater) to see my niece, Caitlin, play violin in an orchestra concert. The concert was good, but we ended up leaving at intermission, because it was going to last longer than we thought, and we were both very tired and had early mornings to prepare for. I did get to see my college voice teacher, which was nice. I don't see him nearly enough any more.

I got to bed pretty early Saturday night, but when I woke up on Sunday, I felt quite ill. At one point, I had to sit down as a wave of nausea washed over me, and I was very clammy and sweaty. I thought "Oh, great - that will really please the church if I have to cancel at the 11th hour!" You see, when it comes to my singing, I consider myself an utmost professional, and would never cancel unless I deemed it absolutely imperative. I ate breakfast and didn't throw up, which I took to be a good sign. :) I still felt very weak, sweaty, and strange, but I got ready, warmed my voice up, and headed for the church. This was the first time I had sung there with their new music director, who happens to have been my choral director my senior year in high school. So, I hadn't seen this man in about 16 years, and wanted to make a good impression on him, so that he'll want to keep having me back. I soldiered through, and sounded great at both services. Between services, Tim took me to Panera again (I know - we're boring!), which was nice. During the second service, I was feeling very tired and weak and clammy, and I couldn't wait to get home. I had also developed a splitting headache. Kevin (the music director) was very happy with my singing, and it was great to talk to him and catch up. He's great! He's having me back to sing on December 16 - I'll be doing some recitative from Handel's Messiah, and singing with the choir as well. One bit of disappointing news: I had expected to sing "O Holy Night" and "I Wonder as I Wander" at the 11 p.m. service on Christmas Eve, just as I did last year. Apparently, though, they're not going to have an 11 p.m. service this year - they're just doing the 7 p.m. one. And there's no way I can sing then, as my family does Christmas on Christmas Eve. :(
Alas. I'm a bit sad about it, but at least I've got the 16th.

Anywho, I got home, and my dear Daddy kept watching Nick so that I could crawl into bed. I slept from 1-5! The rest of the evening, I just sat around feeling pathetic. My Daddy (so sweet!) went out and got me some Excedrin and also got us Chinese for dinner. I never seem to totally lose my appetite when I'm sick, and was quite hungry by then, as I hadn't had lunch. I ate my Chinese and watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Desperate Housewives, and then took some Nyquil and went to bed. So, the weekend didn't go anything like I'd planned. I had some more errands I wanted to run on Sunday, and had hoped to spend more time with Tim, but it just wasn't in the cards. Also, there was another concert that my Dad and I had wanted to go to on Sunday, and we had wanted to go out for dinner, so my Dad's weekend was rather compromised as well, but he was very sweet about it.

The good news is that I woke up this morning feeling much better! Nick and I came home, and here I am, catching up on my computing. I guess that was a pretty boring story, but it's the story of my weekend nonetheless. Now, on to another week...

2 comments:

Patty O. said...

Sorry you were so sick. I am so impressed that you still managed to sing a beautiful solo. Glad to hear you are feeling better! i've been pretty under-the-weather, but it's just a cold and a really bad headache. Also, I am cold all the time. Hopefully it is passing. Take care of yourself!

Amber said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, my stomach did a few flips just thinking about you singing while nauseous. Way to be a trooper and honor your commitment even when you are feeling bad.