Thursday, April 2, 2009

miscellany

Regarding the recipe for oat, almond, and cranberry breakfast bars - I just made another batch and substituted applesauce for the oil, and I would NOT recommend that. They're OK, but rather different and not nearly as good as with oil. I'm so disappointed! Alas.

Went to the dentist today for my check-up, and all was well. I finally asked about closing the gap between my bottom front teeth, and found out that I could have some bonding done, and my co-pay would be rather reasonable! Yay! So, it's scheduled for next week. I'm thrilled; I just wish I had asked about it a long time ago. The gap doesn't show when I smile, as it's on the bottom, but it does show when I speak or sing, so I'm pretty self-conscious about it. Wish me luck that the bonding turns out well and looks natural.

Because of my dentist appointment, I didn't go to the class at my gym this morning, but I had enough time between the dentist and picking Nick up from school to head there and use the treadmill for 30 minutes - better than nothing! I jogged for probably half the time, so I got a pretty decent calorie burn.

Today is Peanut Butter and Jelly Day (apparently), and one of the community centers on post hosted a free PB&J lunch. I picked Nick up from school and took him there, and it was fun! Granted, it wasn't the healthiest lunch ever (no whole wheat bread, natural PB or no-sugar-added jelly in sight), but it was free, and Nick loved it! We each had a sandwich and a bag of chips (Cheetos for Nick and Fritos for me), and a cookie for dessert. They had crafts for the kids to do, and Nick had a blast. The woman in charge happened to be the yoga teacher at my gym, and it was nice to sit and talk with her - we discussed the idea of me being able to sub for her when needed, and she thinks I'd do fine, which makes me feel good.

Brian was supposed to meet us for the lunch, but on the way, he suffered a flat tire (well, his car did, not him personally). :( The tire couldn't be fixed, so he had to have a new one put on. Ack! It wasn't too expensive, though, so all's well that ends well. He's had a pretty bad day on several counts, the poor guy, between the tire and some stuff at work.

We'll finally get to see him pretty soon, because Nick and I are getting ready to leave to head to Nick's school for parent-child night, where we'll meet up with Brian. They're having some sort of "multicultural" theme, and then there will be more free food :), including my underwhelming applesaucy bars. I hate to subject the other families to the results of my experimentation, but whatareyagonnado? I don't have time to make anything else. :)

That's all, folks! Gotta head out...

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

You are right about the fiber, but I didn't know if it was wise to increase my intake so drastically. I have been having some gastrointestinal issues since the birth (fluctuating between diarrhea and constipation) and have been trying to slowly increase my fiber intake. But, no ill effects yet, so I am probably fine, right?