Friday, April 24, 2009

this and that

So, my quads are so sore today that it sometimes takes my breath away. That might have something to do with the 100 squats and 90 lunges (on each side) that we did in my sculpt class Wednesday night! :) I'm planning to do a 5K tomorrow, and I'm somewhat worried that this soreness will hamper me, but I'm still going to go for it - I just might end up walking more than jogging. But, it will still be fun and good for me! Because of the acute soreness and the 5K coming up, I decided that it might be wise to skip working out today and just rest and stretch my legs. My weight keeps flip-flopping between 142 and 144, which is kind of frustrating, but then again, maybe it just means that I'm right where I'm supposed to be and I shouldn't worry about it.

I ended up crazily teaching yoga class last night, because the regular instructor couldn't be there. I was petrified, but I put together a solid series of flows, and it ended up going really well. I did a "warrior flow", where you typically start facing one way and do it on one side, and then you switch sides and repeat the whole thing on the other side of your body. Well, I realized this morning that I forgot to do it on both sides last night! Oh, well. For all my students knew, I did that on purpose to avoid running out of time. And my class did end up filling the hour, plus a couple of minutes, even without the missing poses. There were a couple of other little mistakes I made, but all-in-all, I'd say it went very smoothly for a first yoga class. My transitions all seemed smooth and to "make sense", and I kept my composure and didn't do anything idiotic. :) So, yay!

I'm excited about tomorrow, because in addition to the 5K, we're going to an Earth Day thing on post, with vendors, food, and activities for the kiddies. And best of all, my Timmy friend and his zesty friend (and mine) Jaimie are coming up to visit us! Yay! We're going to go out for Japanese for dinner. I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese...

And can we talk about this fabulous weather? I'm completely loving it. Today, I'm wearing a sleeveless top, a skort, and sandals, and I couldn't be happier. Now, if only it could stay just like this instead of getting into the humid high 90s later in the summer. :(

That's about all for now, folks...

3 comments:

J said...

YOU'RE DOING A 5K?!!! That's so awesome! I can't even describe how impressed I am with you!!! (hopefully the explanation marks adequately express my impressedness) At this point, I'd say stop stressing too much about your weight. You're extremely healthy and active. That's the important thing. Keep sharing those good recipes too. :-) As to the egg salad, I just boil 4 eggs, mash them up, add some no-fat plain yogurt (about 1/4 cup), a couple of tbsps. of sweet relish, a couple of tbsps. of mustard, and a few twists of pepper. It's kind of a mix until I like the flavor. No set recipe. I might also try it with dill relish for a slightly different flavor. If you like more crunch, you could also add some celery.

Hope you have a great weekend!

carrie c. said...

amy,

good luck tomorrow in the 5k. how exciting. i ran my best 5k ever when i was so sore i could hardly even walk. take some advil and stretch, stretch, stretch. once you get going your muscles will loosen up and you will forget how sore you were to begin with. all will be good. hope you have a great weekend.

carrie castagno

Patty O. said...

I totally agree about the weather. It's perfect. So, I don't want it to change. I hate hot, humid weather.

My legs are killing me too. Every time I use them, I grimace! I did this toning program from Fitness magazine and boy did it kill my legs. Sadly, I was supposed to do the whole routine twice, but only got through it once, and yet I am still dying. Well, I guess I have to start somewhere, right.

Happily, I lost like 3 pounds this week, so I guess it makes up for the last two weeks of less than a pound each week. Yay.

Good job on the yoga and good luck tomorrow.