Saturday, April 18, 2009

random babbling and a recipe!

Hey, folks! I guess I should do a bit of a "real" post, finally. I don't have anything really exciting to say, but I AM going to share the faboo recipe I made for dinner this evening.

I've ended up having a pretty productive day. I've washed all of our bedding and am still washing all the throws, bathmats, kitchen rugs, etc. We vacuumed and flipped our mattress, and put on a new zippered hypoallergenic mattress cover, to see if that helps me - I tend to wake up congested every morning, and I've decided that maybe it's because of dust/dust mites. We shall see. We also vacuumed under the bed and took down the heavy (and disgustingly dusty) drapes that are right behind our bed and laundered them. I don't know if any of this will actually help my congestion, but at least our bedroom will be cleaner! :)

I also talked to my friend Katherine today, which was very lovely. She always makes me laugh and lightens my mood. Thanks, girl!

Also, I got all of my latest digital pics on CD to take to Walmart for printing, and Brian vacuumed the whole house and I mopped the kitchen and bathrooms. Wow! I really have done a lot today, haven't I? There's something about seeing it all in print...

In addition to all of the above, I managed to find time to whip up a very quick, simple, delicious dinner: spinach and black bean egg rolls - they're sort of an east meets southwest kinda thing. I have two words for you: Me gusta! Here's the recipe:

Spinach and Black Bean Egg Rolls

2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained (I left these out.)
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
20 egg roll wrappers
Pam
salsa and/or ranch dressing

1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Place 1/4 cup mixture in the center of each egg roll wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel while you work.) Fold corners in one by one, making an "egg roll" shape and moistening final corner with water before pressing down to seal.
2. Place egg rolls seam side down on cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Spray tops of egg rolls with Pam and bake at 425 for about 15 mins., until nicely browned and crispy. Serve warm with salsa and/or ranch dressing, if desired.

I mixed up the full amount of filling, but decided to just assemble and bake 10 egg rolls this evening. I refrigerated the remaining wrappers and filling, and that way I can make them fresh next time, instead of reheating existing ones. Seemed like a good idea! I thought they were very good - if you make them, let me know what you think!

Tomorrow, I shall do my usual Walmart run, and Brian and I are going to take Nick bowling and then possibly go to a couple of furniture stores and see if we can find a headboard for Nick's bed.
I also have to design my next class. It's shaping up to be a pretty good weekend! Hope yours is, too...

2 comments:

Patty O. said...

Ooooh, that recipe sounds delish. I will have to try it.

Where did you find the mattress cover? Bil's allergies are terrible right now and I have been trying to think how I could eliminate allergens, especially in the mattress.

Amy Jane said...

Where else? Walmart!