Wednesday, March 25, 2009

utter and total mortification

OK, so I'm not going to go on quite as much about tonight's class, because I don't want to annoy anyone. :) Suffice it to say that it went great - I was confident, poised, and in control, and I led my students through a very good strength workout. I had 18 (!) students, and I even stood around after class and talked with a few of them. So, there I was, feeling the endorphins again, really happy with how the class went, feeling very good about myself. Then, I came home, and my husband kindly pointed out to me that I had A HUGE CHUNK OF SPINACH STUCK BETWEEN MY TEETH. Seriously. Could I be more of a cliche? A really big chunk of bright green spinach, right there, front and center. While I stood in front of 18 people for an hour and taught a class. While I talked with people after class, in close proximity. In that moment, when Brian told me about the spinach, I absolutely wanted to die. It was as though I were a balloon and someone had stuck a pin in me. I completely deflated, and I was horrified. Now, my memory of that class is completely tainted, and I am red-faced even now as I type about it. I mean, why does no one tell you when you have spinach in your teeth? I ACTUALLY WANT SOMEONE TO TELL ME! But no one will, because they don't want to embarrass you. Instead, everyone was just probably inwardly amused the whole time, and felt embarrassed for me. Aaarrrggghhh! I know I'm making a really big deal about this, but it's how I feel, however ridiculous that makes me. I wonder if they think I have questionable personal hygiene. I'm just so incredibly embarrassed. What I really need right now is for someone to say something to me to make me feel better about this. Please?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am sure this has happened to the best of us. i totally would have pointed it out to you though. i point it out to everyone else i know when i see them with that same problem. i even picked something out of debbie's teeth at the coffee shop a couple of weeks ago. anyway, i am sure you are not the first to have this happen and i am sure you won't be the last.
hope everything else going great for you and your family. come back to visit us soon.
p.s. i am pregnant!!!

Anonymous said...

Um, don't worry, we know you brush your teeth and I'm sure they knew that also. :)

I told someone his fly was undone once, and it was surprisingly hard to do. My friend gave me kudos for "being a grown-up" and I vowed to always try and give people embarrassing info like that in the hope someone will return the favor if I ever need it... Make that your new plan too, it will make you feel better!

-Katharsis

Amber said...

Yikes, that is embarrassing. I'm sure your students won't remember you forever as the gal with spinach in her teeth.

Congrats on being a kick butt instructor, that is just plain awesome!

Patty O. said...

That sucks. I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I am thinking probably most of the students didn't even notice. I know whenever I was in a class, especially a strength training one, I didn't pay too much attention the the instructor's face, more to their body and how they were doing the exercises. Plus, I was usually exerting myself so much, I could only concentrate on the exercises. That said, I suppose the students you talked to afterwards probably noticed, but if it were me, I would have thought, "Hey, this teacher is cool, buff, and yet also very human. I can totally relate to her, and therefore, I am going to continue to exercise and come to her class."

I think they probably weren't smirking, but not wanting to embarrass you (I know the opposite ended up being the result, but still...)

I am not sure if this makes any sense, but try not to let the spinach ruin all your effort and hard work!

Amy Jane said...

I have the most awesome friends! Thanks, guys. You really did make me feel better.

Anonymous said...

I think it was even funnier when you told me at mops! lol. Your great amy and I think it will all just blow over and it's no biggie. Even if it doesn't I still love you! =)

J said...

At least you didn't have toilet paper stuck to your shoe and your skirt tucked into your pantyhose while having spinach stuck in your teeth. :-) It could be worse. LOL But I'm sure people understand. Embarrassing stuff happens to all of us at some point. I think providing a great class for them probably meant more than what you had for dinner. And spinach is healthy, at least.