Saturday, March 28, 2009

more yummy goodness!

I just made these today, and they are absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS! I highly recommend that you make them as soon as possible. :) They do have oil, honey, and sugar, so are not exactly health food, but they're also full of really wonderful, healthy things, like oats, almonds, wheat germ, and whole wheat flour, if you use that. Also, I would imagine that you could substitute applesauce for the oil - I didn't have any, so I didn't try that. Enjoy!

Oat, Almond, and Cranberry Breakfast Bars

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 lg. egg
2 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
3/4 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup Craisins or raisins
3/4 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 13" baking pan and set aside.
2. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, stir oil, honey, vanilla, and egg until mixed.
3. In a large bowl, with fork, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, almonds, wheat germ, Craisins, and salt until combined. With a rubber spatula, stir honey mixture into dry mixture until blended and moistened; scrape into prepared pan. With a wet hand, pat mixture evenly into pan.
4. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

3 comments:

Patty O. said...

This sounds so good. Maybe my kids will even eat them, which would be a nice change. Thanks for sharing!

MissouriMormonMama said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to try those when I get ambitious again.

Amber said...

Mmm, those sound delicious!