Monday, August 11, 2008

the results are in...

...and they're pretty good! I saw my gyn today (LOVE her!), and found out how my lipids are. My total cholesterol is 162, which is great and is down from last year's 190. My LDL ("bad" cholesterol), VLDL ("very bad" cholesterol) and triglycerides (another undesirable) were all down significantly, which is great! The only disappointing thing is that my HDL ("good" cholesterol) hadn't risen nearly as much as I'd hoped, and is still much lower than desired. She explained to me, though, that while diet and exercise can really help lower the bad stuff, it's much harder for it to raise the HDL. That's more determined by genetics and is harder to improve with lifestyle changes. She's really pleased with the results, and thinks that even though they're not optimal, they're just fine. And she was obviously very pleased with my weight loss. When she was palpating my abdomen to feel my internal organs, she kept commenting on how "skinny" I am ! That made me feel pretty darn good. She told me to keep up the good work, and I plan to do just that.

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

HOORAY!!!!!! I am so happy for you. What great news. All your hard work has really paid off, not just in how great you look, but in how much healthier you are as well. I am also really excited that you finally have a physician that you like. That last one really sucked!!

Great job, Amy. I bet you feel such relief at the good news!!

P.S. You asked last week how I was feeling and I think I am starting to feel a bit better. The last couple of weeks have been a bit rough--total exhaustion and lots of nausea. It's not nearly as bad as it could be, but it was especially rough with looking after the other two kids. But the last two days I feel very little nausea and a bit more energy, though by 8pm I am completely wiped out!