Tuesday, June 2, 2009

in a nutshell

So much has happened, and I'm so tired and have already given the whole story to so many people - therefore, I'm just going to do a nutshell update here (Of course, my nutshells tend to be rather large - I'm just a wordy person!):

Nick rallied Saturday morning, so he and I went ahead and went to Springfield. By Saturday night, though, he had gone downhill again - high fever, still not eating, etc. Sunday, I took him to a pediatric urgent care clinic in Springfield - they were wonderful! We found out that Nick had lost 2-3 lbs. since Friday. :( He had blood work done and ended up with 2 injections of a strong antibiotic. They said to nix the Amoxicillin, since it obviously wasn't working. They wanted us to follow up the next day, so we spent an extra night in Springfield. He was still feverish and not feeling well. Monday, we went back to the clinic. By this point, his ears were red and he had white stuff on his tonsils, in addition to the completely congested sinuses. The doc prescribed a 10-day course of a better oral antibiotic than Amoxicillin. When we left the clinic, it was the middle of the afternoon, and we were both tired and Nick still didn't feel well, so I decided to spend one more night in Springfield and return home this morning. Happily, Nick's fever finally broke yesterday evening and hasn't come back! I think he's finally responding to the meds and turning the corner. His appetite is still quite puny, but he's feeling a lot better, aside from the complete sinus congestion. We got home today around noon, and here I am, frantically trying to get caught up on life. :) He has a follow-up appt. at the Ft. Wood hospital tomorrow, and he can hopefully (finally!) start summer school Thursday, a week late. It will be nice to get back to "normal" life, finally, and be able to work out regularly again, etc. Between my illness and Nick's, life has been 18 shades of messed up ever since May 11!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Geez, that totally sucks. Poor Nick. And poor you. That had to be really stressful and worrisome. I'm so glad he's feeling better!