Tuesday, June 30, 2009

eleven days later...

We're back from VA, obviously, and the trip went really well! I have discovered that I really don't mind a long road trip. Now, mind you, I realize that this has a lot to do with having Brian with me. If I had to do that all by myself, I would probably mind it very much. :) Also, having only one kid doesn't hurt. I have to say, though, that I actually enjoyed the long drive, and am glad that we once again chose to drive rather than fly.

Nick was great in the car. We had purchased a portable DVD player for the trip, and even though he chose 10 movies to bring along, he proceeded to watch Cars THE WHOLE TIME, OVER AND OVER. Seriously. Hey, whatever makes him happy, I guess! He is just such an adaptable kid, and had no problem with sitting in the car for hours on end. We did take pee stops and stop at rest areas and to eat, but actually stopped a lot less than you might think. The whole drive, to and fro, went smoothly and uneventfully. I would rather not eat at a Denny's or a Cracker Barrel again for quite some time, though. :) We spent the night both coming and going at the Holiday Inn Express in Huber Heights, OH (outside Dayton), and it was very nice, with a great breakfast and a very reasonable military rate. Yay! And that pretty much describes the actual trip.

As for the visit with Brian's parents, it went well, too. Mind you, it was somewhat boring and unexciting, but we knew that going in. Mostly, we just sat around the house enjoying each other's company. Nick seemed to have a blast, even though his activities were largely comprised of playing on the floor and watching TV. We did go to a really neat pool, which he loved. And he just enjoyed basking in his grandparents' love - likewise, they enjoyed basking in his cuteness and precociousness. :) One day, we went to a neat historic movie theater in downtown Leesburg to see "Up" - good movie! We got to spend a little time with Brian's sister, too, which was nice. She took me out to Trader Joe's and World Market, so we got to have a little female bonding. I worked out almost every day I was there (yay!) at a really nice rec center close to my in-laws' house. The classes were pretty good! It was a bit spendy, but I figured it was worth it.

All-in-all, it was a very nice trip, but it's good to be back in our own home. I'm so glad we went, as it had been 2.5 years since our last visit. It was high time that Nick spend some more time with his grandparents. I don't know when that will happen again, since we will have major upheaval in our lives next summer (what with Brian retiring, etc.), and because Marv and Anne are getting pretty old. Now that we're back, I have so much to do and wade through that I'm feeling rather overwhelmed. I'm just plugging along, doing one thing at a time - what more can one do?

Oh, something kind of neat is that I brought home a really cool, retro quilt that was made by Nick's great-grandmother - Brian's dad's mother. It's really neat - it's very colorful, with lots of pink, blue, and green, and some really retro, kitschy fabrics. I currently have it draped over my couch. I also got a very retro, rectangular lampshade that looks great on one of my living room lamps. Everything old is new again! Marv and Anne are purging big time, in preparation for their move into a small apartment in a retirement community next month. So, pretty much anything I wanted was up for grabs. I didn't take much - just the aforementioned 2 items and a handful of kitchen stuff, like a tube pan, mixing bowls, etc. As far as decor goes, my taste doesn't really jibe with Anne's, so there wasn't much in the house that I wanted. :)

I've really gotta get to work on tomorrow evening's strength class, not to mention Thursday's yoga class - I got a call while in VA asking if I could sub for it, and said yes. Ack! I'm off...

No comments: