Thursday, June 12, 2008

today's ramblings

Hey, everyone! First of all, be sure to take note of my new sidebar list - "foods i'm currently loving!" I figured that maybe it can give some of you ideas for new foods to try. Let me know if you are loving any of these foods, too!

On this humid, 80-degree+ day here in central MO, I decided to go to the indoor track in the fitness center on post for some nice, climate-controlled jogging. I got there, and it felt really warm - almost like a sauna. I thought that was odd and wondered if the AC wasn't working. But, I was there, so I figured I'd go ahead and stick to my plan. And I did! I jogged and walked for an hour, jogging more than half of the distance I covered. In fact, I ended up jogging almost 2.5 miles (not consecutively)! That makes me very proud, as I'm pretty new to this jogging thing, and it's really not that easy for me yet. I'm so pumped that I managed to do that much. I just alternated jogging and walking, and even mixed in a few sprints. Anywho, when I was finished, I was literally sweating more than I've ever sweated in my entire life. I was like a human waterfall. It was completely disgusting! I looked like I had just been in the pool. Imagine the sweatiest person you can, and then imagine that person twice as sweaty. :) I went to the front desk and asked what was up with the AC, and the guy told me that it was malfunctioning, and that the heat had actually been running! OMG. Imagine. I actually sat in the lobby and read the paper for awhile, because I didn't want to go out to my hot car without cooling off at least a little first.

You know, I've been getting a lot of compliments about my weight-loss recently, which is great. And it's gotten me thinking about what I'm really the most proud of, and I realized that it's not just losing the weight - it's actually that I've gotten so in shape. I mean, here I am, at 34, in the best shape I've ever been in at any age. There are plenty of women who are "thin" or "normal-sized," but they're not really fit, and they don't have much endurance or strength. You can be skinny but not able to jog or lift weights, or kickbox for an hour. It's sort of a revelation to me that my new smaller size is really secondary on the list of what I'm proud of. I just can't believe how buff I am! I know this sounds braggy, but I don't care. I'm just proud that I've really put in the work to tone my body and develop my muscles, and to become so much stronger. I've realized that my goal was never to just be skinny or small, but to be in great shape, and I can't believe that I've made that come true. I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm not in the greatest shape compared to some people, but for me, I am, and that's what counts. I'm just feeling very triumphant today. Maybe jogging in such heat took a toll on my brain and rendered me loopy! :)

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Wow, you might have actually been COOLER outside rather than in a heated gym. How funny!

I agree with you wholeheartedly about being fit! I read an article a few months back about a model who had been on "Dancing With The Stars" who couldn't keep up in the dancing because she was so unfit. She was really thin, but had no stamina at all. So she started exercising to remedy that. I loved reading that article, though, because I realized that, like you said, being skinny is not the only or best goal to have. Being fit and healthy is by far more important. I am so excited for you and proud of you and your accomplishments and you should be too!!!! Keep on bragging, because it inspires me!