Saturday, June 7, 2008

back online!

I have actually been offline against my will for the past couple of days. On Thursday afternoon, I discovered that I had no dial tone (we have dial-up Internet). With some over-the-phone guidance from the phone company, I determined that the problem was definitely not inside our house, so they put in a request to have a repair-peep come out. That peep did not come until 10:00 this morning (He couldn't possibly have come yesterday, due to the weather - more on that later.)! Mind you, with the dial-up Internet and the fact that I have a prepaid cell phone that costs 10 cents/minute, losing my land line for a couple of days was rather catastrophic for me. :) So, now that it's back, I have been making phone calls and catching up with emails, etc. I burned through way too many expensive cell phone minutes yesterday, but whatareyagonnado?

Yesterday turned out to be rather odd for other reasons, as well. First of all, I woke up and did my weekly weigh-in, and was shocked to see that I was down 4 lbs., taking my loss to an even 50! In the past, I have had times when I plateaued for a bit and then had a freakishly big loss, and I sometimes came back up a pound or two the next week. I mean, I can't really, truly have lost 4 lbs. in one week, surely. But, even if I'm back up a bit next Friday, I have high hopes that I've kissed the 160s goodbye for good. I also took my measurements and determined that I have now lost a combined total of over 3 feet! Wow. Most notably, I've lost 6-7" each off my bust, waist, and hips (I'm now a 39-32-39), and 5" off each thigh.

So, my day was off to a great start, and I got all ready and dressed to go to the gym. I was planning on calling my Rebecca-friend to see if we could go over and visit her after the gym, so I was looking forward to a lovely morning. I had my breakfast and went into Nick's room to get him up. When I walked in and turned on the light, I was greeted by the worst throw-up mess I've ever seen. Why did he not summon me when this happened, you ask? I wish I knew. He never does, even though we've told him time and again that he should. It's almost like he doesn't want to burden us. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that the clean-up was grueling. The sheet, I simply threw away. Nick was very upset and very gross, and I had to get him right into the tub. Needless to day, fitness class (or leaving the house at all) was not going to happen. He claimed that he wanted breakfast, but only ate about half of it. As the day progressed, he was stricken with a high fever and became very lethargic, just flopping on the couch and wanting to be held. Since he's normally rather hands-off, I secretly enjoyed getting to cuddle with him all day, but I felt terrible for the poor kid. The day was just so strange - I had no phone or Internet and was effectively cut off from the outside, and had a very sick kid on my hands, which is unusual in itself, as Nick virtually never gets sick. So, there we were, he and I, just flopping on the couch and watching Mary Poppins (As an aside, I just have to point out that this movie is pure genius, and nothing like it has been made since. I don't care how many times I watch it - I still marvel at its fabulosity every time.) Well, this was boring, but Nick was resting comfortably in my arms, at least, and I was enjoying our togetherness. Then, things got a bit more interesting, because some very dicey weather came our way, with tornado warnings and very scary rain and straight-line winds. So, I had to carry my poor child (who was just radiating heat at this point) down to the inhospitable unfinished basement and lay him on the cold, hard floor, while we waited out the worst of it. I felt so bad, because he had just nodded off on the couch, and then I had to disrupt him. But, within a minute or two of lying down on the basement floor, he was asleep again! That's how sick he was. I was finally able to carry him back upstairs, and I got his bed all made up and tucked him in for a long summer's nap. After his nap, his fever had gone down some, and he had a bit more pep. He still hardly ate anything all day, but at least he didn't throw up again.

Today, in his usual fashion, he's right as rain! This kid has an absolutely stellar immune system - I've never seen him sick for more than a day. He even said to me "I feel like I'm me again!" At another point, he also came up to me and said "So, how ya doin', m'pretty girl?" :) Yup - he's definitely back to his old self.

So, the upshot of this incredibly long post is that yesterday was just plain weird, and I'm thrilled to be back online and back in touch with the world! Tonight, we're going out to dinner, and I'm beside myself at the prospect of getting out of the house. (In case you haven't picked up on this, being at home all day is like torture for me - I have to get out of the house every day or I go crazy.)

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, that was quite the crazy day. Sorry about poor Nick, glad to hear he is feeling like himself again.
I know what you mean about secretly enjoying the extra snuggle time with a sick kiddo though.

Patty O. said...

Poor Nick. I know exactly what you mean about enjoying the snuggling, but feeling bad that the child feels poorly. Danny is the exact same way, especially in that he rarely gets sick and it never seems to keep him down long.

I also understand the having to get out of the house thing, too. It drives me nuts to be at home for too long, especially with no contact with other adults!

Congrats on the weight loss. Hip, hip hooray! You are doing soooo well!